Myanmar Emerging Scholars and Young Leaders Workshop
Call for Participation
The University of British Columbia, in partnership with the Canadian Council for Southeast Asian Studies (CCSEAS), is delighted to announce the Call for Participation in the 2023 Myanmar Emerging Scholars and Young Leaders Workshop. This one-day Workshop is scheduled for October 11, 2023, immediately preceding the 2023 CCSEAS Conference in Québec City, Canada (October 12-14, 2023). The Workshop aims to strengthen the network of emerging scholars and leaders from Myanmar, of Myanmar origin, or working on Myanmar, by fostering connections, collaboration, and contributions to Myanmar’s development. Selected participants will receive support to attend both the Workshop and the CCSEAS Conference (https://www.ccseas.ca/index.php/2023-conference/). The Workshop is enabled by generous support from IDRC’s Knowledge for Democracy Myanmar initiative (https://k4dm.ca/about/).
- Networking opportunities with fellow Myanmar scholars and researchers.
- Skills training: Writing academic articles/blogs and navigating the publication process.
- Opportunities to share and receive feedback on research projects.
- Travel support for attendance of Workshop and subsequent CCSEAS Conference.
Review of applications will begin on September 1, 2023.
- Currently enrolled in an MA or PhD program; preference will be given to students at Canadian universities. Postdoctoral fellows or other research affiliates will also be given consideration. Myanmar students, women, and vulnerable minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Research focus on Myanmar. In reflecting the priorities of Global Affairs Canada and IDRC, students conducting research on issues related to gender, vulnerable minorities, and the Rohingya are especially encouraged to apply.
- Open to all disciplines; preference will be given for social sciences and humanities.
To apply, please use the following link: https://forms.gle/TH1S9y7Mok4bsARz9
If you have any inquiries or require additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at Myanmar.SPPGA@ubc.ca.
About UBC Myanmar Initiative: The UBC Myanmar Initiative has been supporting researchers and democratization efforts in Myanmar since 2017. Its core mandate is to nurture the emerging generation of researchers dedicated to democratization in Myanmar. Generous grants from the International Development Research Centre’s Knowledge for Democracy Myanmar (K4DM) Initiative make the UBC Myanmar Initiative possible.