Knowledge for Democracy Myanmar 2017-2021
Knowledge for Democracy Myanmar was a five-year partnership that nurtured a new generation of young actors to promote inclusion, gender equality, respect for diversity, and prosperity for all in Myanmar.
Supported by Global Affairs Canada and IDRC, this $10.7 million initiative had 18 different projects involving more than 30 international, Canadian, and Myanmar partners.
Decades of systematic underinvestment in research and higher education have eroded Myanmar’s internal capacity to generate sound advice for public policy and the ability to use this knowledge for policymaking. This Initiative will help strengthen local research and analytical capacity among university faculty and students, civil society leaders, think tank researchers, and public officials.
The Initiative was structured around three major approaches:
- Capacity-development for individuals, where expert training institutions from Canada and other countries will train and mentor a large and geographically diverse pool of aspiring leaders — the basis of a new generation of state and non-state actors;
- Organizational capacity development with Myanmar independent think tanks, working on a range of policy issues from economics to the peace process, gender, and environmental policies;
- Support for research, carried out by Myanmar and international experts to hone local research capacity and to fill knowledge gaps around women’s political participation, gender budgeting, and public services in Myanmar.
A fourth cross-cutting approach that was identified as greatly lacking in Myanmar is active engagement and collaboration, which aims to enhance the number of voices that feed into decision-making.
For more information about the Knowledge for Democracy Myanmar initiative, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
K4DM Annual Reports
Latest from K4DM
Latest K4DM Posts
- Canada-Myanmar IDRC Fellowship – For Gender and Development Studies at AITCanada- Myanmar IDRC Fellowship For Gender and Development Studies at AIT Scholarship for Certificate / One-year master’s Program – (short-term and long-term) at the Asian […]
- Initiative nurtures new generation of actors for an inclusive MyanmarInitiative nurtures new generation of actors for an inclusive MyanmarNovember 23, 2022 Article from IDRC webpage (version française) Four years of online training, fellowships and […]
- Full Agenda for the K4DM KNOWLEDGE MARKETPLACE Bangkok 2022K4DM KNOWLEDGE MARKETPLACE – Bangkok 2022Exchanging Ideas for a Democratic Myanmar Friday, Nov 25 – Sunday, Dec 4, 2022, at Bangkok Art and Culture Centre […]
- Call for Papers – 2023 Myanmar Update – From Coup to RevolutionEvent details Proposal Deadline: Fri, 16 Dec 2022, 5pm Event Location: The Australian National University Academic area: Myanmar Research Centre Call for Papers – 2023 […]
- Roundtable Discussion: “Thought leadership to advance knowledge for Myanmar: What should come next?”Friday 25th November, 4:00pm – 5:30pm. Join us for a Roundtable Discussion: “Thought leadership to advance knowledge for Myanmar: What should come next?” [BACC 5th […]